Photo and following information from
Dorianne Gutierrez, Liverpool Village Historian
Dr. John R. Young (24th NY Infantry, Co. H), representing Liverpool's Col.
Randall Post 648 of the G.A.R., came before the
Liverpool Board of Trustees on April 24th, 1896:
"Dr. J.R. Young came before the board with regard to the lots in the
Village Cemetery to be set apart for a Soldiers Burial Lot and on motion
of Wagner the following lots were given in Section 8 for this purpose:
60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78."
The G.A.R. Post also arranged for the placement of a Civil War cannon, a
10-inch Rodman gun, to be placed in the lot. The cannon was shipped on
12/30/1902, arriving in Liverpool by train. This was later donated to the
World War II scrap metal drive in 1942, adding 6-8 tons to the village's
There are about 60 Civil War veterans' graves in Liverpool Cemetery; of
these, only a few (9 or 10) are known to be buried in the flagpole area.
Maintained by Sue Greenhagen.