Madison County G.A.R. Posts
- # 12 - Hamilton - Charter revoked in 1875.
George W. Arrowsmith, 157th NYSV. Graduate of Madison University
(Colgate University). Joined 26th NYSV May 1861 at Utica as Captain (age 22).
Mustered out to be Captain and AAG of US Volunteers in August 1862. Resigned
from US Vols. Nov. 1862. Mustered as Lt. Col. of 157th NYSV in Nov. 1862. KIA
at Gettysburg, July 1, 1863.
- # 46 - DeRuyter - Charter revoked in 1875.
Private James A. Muncy, Co. H, 114th NYSV. Joined at Cuyler in Aug. 1862.
Died of disease on Dec. 12, 1863 in New Iberia, LA.
- # 49 - Canastota - Chartered July 1, 1878.
Brevet Brigadier General Chauncey Barnes Reese. Born 1837 in Canastota. West
Point, class of 1859. Captain, Corps of Engineers; Chief Engineer, Army of The
Tennessee; Lt. Col. and AIG on staff of General Logan; brevets for services
during campaigns in Georgia and the Carolinas. Died in 1870 in Mobile, AL.
Buried in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Canastota, NY.
- # 64 - Chittenango - July 4, 1878 to 1917.
Private Jonas Bonney, Co. I, 157th NYSV. Joined at Sullivan in Aug. 1862, age
28. KIA at Gettysburg, July 1, 1863.
- # 127 - Hamilton - Post active in 1872.
Private Melvin F. Brown, Co. A, 157th NYSV. Joined at Madison Aug. 1862, age
24. KIA May 2, 1863 at Chancellorsville, VA.
- # 160 - Cazenovia - Chartered June 18, 1872.
Captain Daniel C. Knowlton, Co. D, 114th NYSV. Joined Aug., 1862 at Cazenovia
as 1st Lt., age 22. Captain, Aug., 1863. KIA Oct. 19, 1864 at Cedar Creek,
- # 174 - Oneida - Chartered July 23, 1880.
No information presently available.
- # 268 - Eaton - Chartered May 13, 1882.
Private Alfred A. Morse, Co. D, 114th NYSV. Joined at Utica, Aug. 1863, age
23. WIA Oct. 19, 1864. Died Nov. 24, 1864 at Winchester, VA. Buried in Eaton
- # 272 - Hamilton - Chartered July 15, 1882.
Captain Arthur L. Brooks, Co. G, 61st NYSV. Joined at NYC as Captain, age 23.
Died May 12, 1862 of typhoid fever at Yorktown, VA.
- # 376 - DeRuyter - Chartered May 15, 1883.
Private William E. Hunt, Co. D, 15th NY Cavalry. Joined Aug., 1864 at
DeRuyter, age 18. WIA, April 1, 1865 at Five Forks. Died of gunshot wound,
April 2, 1865 at regimental hospital.
- # 448 - Brookfield - Chartered March 1, 1884.
Captain Homer W. Searle, Co. K, 114th NYSV. Joined July, 1862 as 2d Lt., age
18. 1st Lt. March, 1863. WIA at Port Hudson, LA on June 6, 1863. Captain
July, 1864. WIA Sept. 19, 1864 at Opequan, VA. Discharged with regiment, June
1865. Brevet Major, NY Volunteers.
- # 548 - Morrisville - Chartered
April 1, 1885.
Captain Otis H. Tillinghast, US Army. USMA, class of 1847. Brevet 2d Lt., 3rd US Artillery, 1847.
1st Lt., 3rd US Artillery, 1851. Captain and Assistant QM, May 13, 1861. MWIA
at Bull Run, died July 23, 1861.
- # 571 - Erieville - Aug. 25, 1894 to 1912.
Willard Richardson, Chaplain, 89th NYSV. Born May 23, 1815 in Harford, PA.
Graduated Hamilton College, class of 1837. Attended Auburn Seminary, 1839-40.
Married Harriet Ann Tyler of Honesdale, PA in 1840. Ordained in 1846 at Mt.
Pleasant, PA. Preached in Conklin, NY 1854-65. Enrolled and commissioned on
Feb. 23, 1864 at Fort Monroe, VA. Died Mar. 19, 1897 at Houston, DE.
- # 624 - Georgetown - Chartered May 18, 1888.
1st Sgt. Carey W. Miner, Co. A, 157th NYSV. Joined July 1862 at Hamilton as a
corporal, age 26. Promoted to Sgt. Jan. 4, 1863, to 1st Sgt. Feb. 20, 1863.
KIA May 2, 1863 at Chancellorsville, VA.
- # 658 - Munnsville - Chartered May 20, 1892.
1st Lt. William H. Stringer, 1st NY Light Artillery. Joined at Munnsville as a
private in Battery A, promoted to 1st Sgt., to 2d Lt. Nov. 1864, to 1st Lt. of
Battery G in March of 1865. Mustered out with battery in June 1865.