G.A.R. Posts in Oswego County
- Postcard of G.A.R. veterans in the Centennial Parade in Sandy Creek, 1925.
- # 16 - Cleveland - Chartered May 11, 1916.
Private Homer Lester Farmer, 14th NYSV. Post #569 reorganized as Post #16.
- # 19 - Oswego - Chartered March 14, 1872.
Private Rensselaer Bailey, Co. G, 24th NY Cavalry. Enlisted at Williamstown in
Dec. 1863, age 18. Died Sept. 16, 1864 in a Fairfax Seminary Hospital in VA (a
county history reported that he died of "accidental wounds").
- # 65 - Oswego - Chartered Aug. 5, 1878.
Captain John D. O'Brian, 24th NYSV. Joined April 1861 as Captain of Co. A, age
28. WIA at Antietam, leg amputated. Brevet Major US Volunteers and NYS for
action at Antietam.
- # 81 - New Haven - Chartered March 4, 1871.
Private Amos M. Kibbe, Co. G, 81st NYSV. Joined Co. C at Oswego in Sept. 1861,
age 23. Transferred to Co. G in Feb. 1862. MWIA at Drewry's Bluff, VA, on May
16, 1864. Died May 25, 1864 at General Hospital, Hampton, VA.
- # 111 - Fulton - Post charter revoked in 1876.
Col. William C. Raulston, 24th NY Cavalry. Joined 81st NYSV as Captain Aug.
1861, age 26. Promoted to Lt. Col. Mustered as Colonel of 24th NY Cavalry
Aug. 1863. WIA June 18, 1864 near Fredericksburg, VA. Captured Sept. 30, 1864
at Poplar Springs, VA. MW Dec. 10, 1864 while attempting to escape from Libby
Prison. Died Dec. 15, 1864. Buried in Riverside Cemetery, Oswego. His
brothers George and John served with him but survived the war.
- # 111 - Pulaski - Chartered Aug. 27, 1879.
2d Lt. Joseph B. Butler, 95th USCT. Joined Aug. 1862 at Richland as a Private
in Co. B, 110th NYSV, age 28. 1st Sgt. Aug. 1862, discharged to 95th USCT May,
1863. KIA June 21, 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
- # 145 - Phoenix - Chartered March 19, 1880.
Private Joseph E. Gould, Co. B, 110th NYSV. Joined Aug. 1, 1862 at
Williamstown, age 23. Mustered out with regiment in Albany, Aug. 1865.
- # 217 - Sandy Creek - May 5, 1881 to 1922 ("charter burned")
Major Andrew J. Barney, 24th NYSV. Joined May 1861 at Belleville as Captain of
Co. K, age 32. KIA at Second Bull Run.
- # 262 - Redfield - Chartered March 16, 1882.
2d Lt. Sidney C. Gaylord, Co. E, 147th NYSV. Joined at Redfield Aug. 1862 as
Corporal, Co. K, age 18. KIA June 18, 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
- # 265 - Altmar - Chartered Aug. 8, 1882.
2d Lt. Elisha L. Bentley, 14th NY Heavy Artillery. KIA June 2, 1864 at Cold
- # 265 - Altmar - April 2, 1894 to 1914.
2d Lt. Elisha L. Bentley, 14th NY Heavy Artillery.
- # 271 - Fulton - Chartered June 16, 1882.
Captain Daniel F. Schenck, Co. G, 50th NY Engineers. Joined at Fulton Aug. 21,
1861 as 1st Sgt., Co. D, age 24. 1st Lt. Co. G, Dec. 1862. Mustered out Oct.
- # 367 - Mexico - April 23, 1883 to 1922.
Lt. Colonel Melzer Richards, 24th NY Cavalry. Joined 24th NYSV at Parish May
1861 as Captain of Co. D, age 38. WIA at Second Bull Run and Antietam. Major
of 24th NYSV Jan 1863. Mustered out with regiment May 1863. MWIA April 5,
1865 at Jeetersville, VA. Died April 13, 1865 at City Point, VA.
- # 387 - Orwell - Chartered July 20, 1883.
Private Merwin S. Olmstead, Co. G, 24th NYSV. Joined at Orwell May 1861, age
18, and discharged July 1861. Reenlisted Dec. 1861. MWIA at Second Bull Run
and left on the field until a nurse found him and tended to him until he died
Sept. 2, 1862.
- # 418 - Central Square - Chartered Nov. 9, 1883.
1st Sgt. Isaac Waterbury, Co. C, 101st NYSV. Joined Sept. 15, 1861 at Hastings
as 1st Sgt., age 29. Disability discharge June 13, 1862 from hospital at Fort
- # 419 - Constantia - Chartered Nov. 9, 1883.
Sgt. Daniel B. Lewis, Co. H, 147th NYSV. Enlisted at Constantia as a Private
Aug. 1862, age 18. Promoted to Sgt. Aug. 1863. Wounded at Cold Harbor, VA.
Transferred to Co. A, VRC. Discharged July 1865. NYS Brevet 2d Lt. awarded
during 1866 for gallantry during the war.
- # 434 - Vermillion - Chartered Dec. 20, 1883.
Private Hiram Sherman, Co. A, 184th NYSV. Joined at Volney Aug. 1864 for one
year, age 30. Died Dec. 15, 1865 in hospital of typhoid fever.
- # 497 - Williamstown - May 1884 to 1912.
1st Lt. Henry H. Mellen, QM, 147th NYSV. Joined Sept. 1862 at Richland as QM
Sgt., age 42. 1st Lt. and QM Jan. 1863. Discharged Oct. 12, 1864.
- # 569 - Cleveland - Reorganized as Post #16.
Corporal Homer L. Farmer, Co. G, 14th NYSV. Enlisted at Rome May 1861, age 25.
KIA July 1, 1862 at Malvern Hill, VA.
- # 573 - Scriba - Oct. 14, 1885 to 1918.
Captain Lewis B. Porter, Co. K, 81st NYSV. Joined Sept. 1861 at Oswego as
Sgt., age 30. 1st Sgt. Aug. 1862. Captain June 4, 1864. MWIA Sept. 30, 1864
at Chaffin's Bluff. Died Nov. 15, 1864 at Fort Monroe, VA.
- # 585 - West Amboy - Chartered March 2, 1886.
1st Lt. Chauncey Gardner, Co. K, 110th NYSV. Joined Aug. 1862 at Parish as 1st
Lt., age 28. Died June 23, 1864 of disease at Key West, FL.
- # 586 - Oswego City - Chartered March 30, 1886.
Captain May H. Stacy, 12th US Infantry. Buried in Chester, PA.
- # 591 - New Haven - June 25, 1886 to 1917.
Captain James Doyle, Co. G, 110th NYSV. Joined at Oswego Aug. 1862 as Captain,
age 37. WIA June 14, 1863 at Port Hudson, LA. Discharged with regiment Aug.
1865. Brevet Lt. Col. NYSV.
- # 599 - Parish - Chartered July 12, 1886.
Captain George W. Simons, Co. I, 24th NY Cavalry. Joined at Parish as Private,
Co. E, Dec. 1863, age 32. Captain Co. I, Jan. 1864. WIA Aug. 19, 1864. Died
in Washington, D.C. hospital Sept. 4, 1864. NYS Brevet Major in memoriam 1866.
- # 609 - SW Oswego - Chartered March 10, 1887.
Captain John Stevenson, Co. H, 110th NYSV. Joined Aug. 1862 at Oswego as
Captain, age 38. Discharged for disability Nov. 16, 1862.