G.A.R. Posts in Richmond County
- # 71 - New Brighton - Post active during 1872.
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
, 54th Mass. Infantry. Shaw was a private in the 7th
NYNG in 1861, then a Lt. in the 2d Mass. Inf.; ADC to Gen. George H. Gordon;
appointed Colonel of the 54th Mass. April 17, 1863; KIA July 18, 1863 in the
charge on Battery Wagner, Charleston, SC; parents maintained a home on Staten
Island, Francis G. Shaw moved his family there in order to be near his wife's
NYC eye specialist, settling in West New Brighton; there are Shaw memorial
stones in a Staten Island cemetery.
- # 88 - Tompkinsville - Post chartered Aug. 15, 1873, disbanded in
Brigadier General Thomas Francis Meagher. Born in 1823 in Ireland and
transported to Australia for his participation in the 1848 uprisings; Irish
National arranged his escape to America; "Meagher of the Sword;" major in 69th
NYSM; raised the Irish Brigade; lost in Missouri River in 1867.
- # 112 - New Brighton - Chartered Sept. 23, 1879.
Colonel Robert Gould Shaw. See Post #71.
- # 163 - Tottenville - Chartered April 22, 1880.
- # 524 - Port Richmond - Post chartered Nov. 22, 1884.