Edwin Vose Sumner

from The New York Times, March 22, 1863:
                       SYRACUSE, Saturday, March 21.
  Maj.-Gen. E.V. SUMNER, United States Army
expired at the residence of his son-in-law, Col. W.W.
TEALL, in this city, this morning, at fifteen minutes
past 1 o'clock, of congestion of the lungs, after an
illness of only five days.
  The death of this veteran soldier has cast a pall of
gloom over the entire city, and the deep sorrow of our
citizens is everywhere visible.
  The places of business are all heavily draped in
mourning, and the National flag hangs at halfmast in
every part of the city. The General was under or-
ders to report at St. Louis for duty, and was on the
point of starting when attacked by the disease which
has terminated fatally. In the death of Maj.-Gen.
SUMNER, the country will mourn the loss of one of her
bravest and most patriotic defenders.
  He was one of the oldest Generals in the army,
having been in the service over forty-three years.
The last words of the veteran hero were: God save
my country, the United States of America."
  His funeral will probably take place on Tuesday
      Sketch of Gen. Sumner's Services.
  Gen. EDWIN V. SUMNER was a native of Bos-
ton. He entered the army as a second lieutenant, sec
ond infantry, March 3, 1819, and was appointed from
New-York. He has been upon constant duty ever
since. He served with distinction in the Mexican
campaign, on SCOTT's line, and was severely wounded
in the battle of Cerro Gordo. In that campaign he
was Major of the Second Regiment of Dragoons, and
led the charge at the bridge of Medelin, near Vera
Cruz, in which a regiment of lancers was broken and
put to flight.
  For his gallant conduct while commanding the
mounted rifles in the assault at Cerro Gordo, he was
brefetted lieutenant-colonel, and placed in command
of all the cavalry engaged at Molina del Rey, where
the most murderous fight in the Mexican war took
place. He there held in check a body of five thou-
sand lancers which threatened to overwhelm the left
of the American force, and thus changed the fortune
of the day. In this action Lieutenat-Colonel SUM-
NER was under continuous and destructive fire, but
maintained his position, although his horse was shot
under him. For his gallant conduct on that occa-
sion he was made brevet colonel. Up to the Mexi-
can war Gen. SUMNER was continuously on service
on the extreme Western frontier in the Indian coun-
  In 1838, Gen. SUMNER (then captain of dragoons,)
was in command of the cavalry school of practice at
Carlisle barracks. He was selected in 1853, and sent
on special duty to Europe, with especial reference
to an improvement in his particular arm of the ser-
  From 1851 to 1853, the General was Military Gov-
ernor of the Territory of New-Mexico. In 1855 and
1856, he commanded in Kansas. In 1858 he was ap-
pointed commander of the Department of the West,
In 1861 he was selected and sent to California, to re-
lieve Gen. A.S. JOHNSTON in that department, in con-
sequence of the resignation of the latter. Gen.
SUMNER was ordered, at his own request, from Cali-
fornia, for service in the east.
  Upon Gen. SUMNER's arrival from California, he
was employed under Gen. McCLELLAN in reorganiz-
ing the army, and had command of a corps when the
movement was made on the Peninsula. His corps
participated in the battle of Seven Pines, coming to
the support of Gen. CASEY after the repulse on the
first day. Subsequently Gen. SUMNER commanded
the right wing, and was in all the engagements on
the Peninsula, up to and including the battle
of Malvern Hills. When the army was with-
drawn from the Peninsula, Gen. SUMNER's
corps was attached to Gen. POPE's com-
mand, and, after the reverses in front of Washington,
was under Gen. McCLELLAN in Maryland. With that
General he participated in the engagement in and
subsequent movement from Maryland, and upon the
change of command to Gen. BURNSIDE, had the
Second and Ninth corps d'armee. He held this posi-
tion at the battle of Frederickburgh, and though
prevented by Gen. BURNSIDE from crossing the river
with his troops, expressed an ardent desire to share
with them the perils of the field. He was sixty years
of age when he died.

Maintained by Sue Greenhagen.
E-mail: greenhsh@morrisville.edu