Tompkins County G.A.R. Posts
- # 36 - Trumansburg - Post charter revoked January, 1877.
- # 41 - Ithaca - Dec. 22, 1876 to 1933.
2d Assistant Engineer Joseph Sydney, US Navy. Phisterer's New York in the
War of the Rebellion identifies him as shown above and says he died off the
coast of Brazos, TX while aboard the Pembina Oct. 31, 1864; his body was
reinterred in Ithaca City Cemetery in 1866; a county history says Joe Sydney
was a US Marine Lt. who died aboard the Brooklyn.
- # 68 - Slaterville Springs - Chartered March 4, 1873.
Henry Wilson. Founder of the Republican Party and Abolitionist; died as Vice
President under Grant; post named in memoriam.
- # 81 - Dryden - Chartered 1889.
1st Lt. William W. Kennedy, Co. F, 109th NYSV. Joined Aug. 1862 at Dryden as
Sgt., age 22; wounded twice at Ny River, May 12, 1864; promoted to 1st Lt.
Sept. 1864; discharged with regiment June 1865; brevet Captain USV; died soon
after the war due to his wounds.
- # 97 - Groton - Post charter revoked March, 1875.
- # 123 - Newfield - Chartered Sept. 18, 1879.
Captain Joseph H. Gregg, Co. I, 137th NYSV. Joined at Binghamton Sept. 1862 as
Captain, Co. I, age 26; wounded left shoulder and chest at Gettysburg July 2,
1863; left arm amputated at shoulder, died July 3 at 2d Division, XII Corps
- # 158 - Brookton - Chartered May 8, 1880.
Colonel David Ireland, 137th NYSV. Captain 15th US Infantry; WIA at Resaca,
GA; died Sept. 10, 1864 at Atlanta, GA; buried in Binghamton, NY.
- # 250 - Ithaca - Chartered Oct. 9, 1898.
Captain James E. Mix, Co. D, 137th NYSV. Joined at Ithaca Aug. 1862 as 1st
Lt., age 29; brevet Major NY Vol. for gallantry.
- # 260 - Groton - Chartered March 15, 1882.
Private Dewight Allen, Co. F, 9th NY Heavy Artillery. Joined Dec. 1863 at
Groton, age 19; KIA June 1, 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
- # 321 - Dryden - organized Dec. 1882.
1st Lt. Hubert Carpenter, Co. E, 76th NYSV. Joined Sept. 1861 at Dryden as
Sgt., age 24; WIA Fredericksburg Dec. 13, 1862; Adjutant of regiment June 1863;
WIA at Gettysburg, PA; WIA and captured May 6, 1864 at the Wilderness; died May
- # 540 - McLean - Chartered Jan. 29, 1885.
Captain James Church Hatch, Co. G, 76th NYSV. Joined at Groton Sept. 1861 as
Sgt., age 21; promoted to 2d Lt. Sept. 1862; to 1st Lt. Nov. 1862; to Captain
Feb. 1864; discharged with unit Oct. 20, 1864.
- # 572 - Trumansburg - Chartered Sept. 23, 1885.
DeWitt C. Tremain, Co. E, 109th NYSV.
Maintained by Sue Greenhagen.